5 Acne Myths
A common topic of all acne myths is that teenagers aren’t the only ones who can suffer from acne. Take a look at these commons myths and discover the truth about treating acne to get clear skin for good!
The Top 5 Acne Myths
- Acne only happens to teenagers. FALSE! Although acne is more prevalent in teenagers it is possible for adults to begin suffering from it in their 20’s and 30’s. Adult acne is usually caused by hormonal imbalances between the ages of 20-45.
- Acne means you are dirty. FASLE! Most people think that because they are experiencing acne that their face is unclean but the truth is acne is a complex skin disorder that does not simply happen from just dirt. Acne is usually caused by hormonal imbalances, over production of oil and can even be linked to heredity.
- Scrub your face really hard to remove dirt and acne. FALSE! Refer back to myth #2! Scrubbing acne to hard can actually inflame acne and spread bacteria around your face causing more acne. Also over scrubbing your face with harsh chemicals can strip your skin of its natural oils causing it to over produce oil which will lead to more acne.
- Popping your pimples it OK. FALSE! Keep your hands off of your face and stoop messing with them immediately! Popping pimples spreads oil and bacteria all over creating new pimples. Not to mention all the scarring picking can lead to. Leave extractions to your skin care professional!
- Tanning will help clear acne. FALSE! Tanning will only camouflage acne! It actually will dry your skin out causing it to over produce oil just like scrubbing it to hard will and this will lead to more acne. Not to mention tanning will cause premature wrinkles and skin cancer.
If you suffer from acne have you considered getting a DermaSweep? This treatment is used to lighten wrinkles, fine lines, and laxity. It even addresses the most sensitive spots like around the eyes, Rosacea, and blemishes.
DermaSweep exfoliates the skin deeply, then places one of three different categories of treatments called SkinFusions (more details HERE). Our laser center will customize a package of infusions specifically to meet your needs and address any additional acne myths.