What To Expect During A Laser Hair Removal Appointment
Laser Hair Removal Appointment
New laser hair removal patients are often nervous and unsure of what to expect during a laser hair removal appointment. They want to know if the procedure will hurt, as well as whether they will feel awkward. Before your laser hair removal appointment, you will have a consultation that will allow you to ask any questions that you may have about the procedure. If you think of questions after your consultation, you can always call back to talk to a technician. The main concern of the office staff is to help you to feel comfortable with your laser hair removal appointment results.
While your specialist can answer questions based on your specific circumstances, here is a general description of what you might expect during your laser hair removal appointment:
- You will be asked to update some paperwork. Before each appointment, a technician will ask you a series of questions designed to determine if you are a good candidate for treatment on that day. For example, you will be asked to update your medical history if you have started any medications, and you will be asked if you have used certain skin products within the past several days or several weeks. The reason for this is that if you are taking medication or using products that make your skin sensitive, your treatment may be postponed and rescheduled. This is for your protection and comfort. You will also be asked to sign a consent form for the treatment.
- Your skin will be prepped for the laser hair removal procedure. In order to perform the hair removal, you will need to have the hair shaved. You can, of course, do this yourself before coming, but if you are unable to reach the areas well, then a technician can help you. Your skin will also be cleaned for the procedure. In some cases, the area of hair removal will be traced with a white makeup crayon as a guide. If the body part that you are having treated is in a sensitive area, you will be draped for privacy.
- The laser hair removal treatment will begin. Your specialist will begin by doing a test pulse on your skin so that you will know what it will feel like. Some patients describe it as relatively painless, while others describe it as the feeling of a rubber band being snapped against the skin. Throughout the procedure, the laser will be blowing cool air onto the area being treated. If at any point during the hair removal, you need to take a break, be sure to let your technician know, and he or she will stop so that you can let your skin rest for a few minutes.
- Your skin will be prepared for you to leave. Once the hair removal treatment is over, your technician will apply aloe and sunscreen to the area. The aloe will soothe your skin, and the sunscreen will protect you from the sun. Remember that you must use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 for two weeks before and after every treatment!
- You will receive post-op instructions. Before you go, your technician will talk to you about what to expect, as well as how to treat your skin during this time. We will talk more about these specific instructions next week in the next segment of our series on what to expect when you have laser hair removal.
Remember that if you have questions about your procedure, you should always call your specialist. He or she knows your individual circumstances and will be equipped to give you the personalized answers that you need for your laser hair removal appointment.